Monday morning blues

Its that time of the week again - when you have to coax yourself into getting out of bed, getting back into your "professional" skin and getting to office.....its strange for me, because this is perhaps the first time in life, I've felt this strongly on Monday mornings.....people I know have complained/have been complaining since school - but for me Monday mornings always used to be a pleasure - I've always looked forward to going to school, for instance - no I wasnt too much of a geek, it was perhaps the fact that I would be surrounded by friends and have unlimited opportunities to do what i do best - yak pointlessly - and then of course, the cricket matches in the morning before the assembly bell, the giggles in the class, the continuing matches in the short and lunch breaks....in fact even the class room sessions were never boring or staid.

And since those days, it either became a habit or my weekends were so poor, I never felt like I had to tear myself out of bed to get to office. Come to think of it, my weekends were never poor - in the US, weekends were in fact great fun - games of golf, the occasional movie, the occasional friendly get-togethers for nights of poker, the grocery shopping, the weekly laundry and cooking.....busy times they were yet I never dreaded monday mornings...the office was fun, there was nothing to be scared about and yes, the work was good too (for a long time....).

Yet now, right from Friday evening, I start dreading monday mornings - I dont know if it is the fact that I detest Delhi from the bottom of my heart, I dont know if I havent gotten over the US yet, I dont know if it is because the weekends now are extremely un-remarkable, except for the occasional movie - full of repair this, buy that, fix something else ......and then before you know it - Monday morning in all its ugly regularity stands up staring at your face. 

IN the US, I would try and get online every sunday evening on my work email - just to get into the mood. I would be always online in the US, but not always on my email and official stuff. Here, the division between work and life is much more nebulous, I get to carry a lot more work home, I need to work a bit more over the weekends than before, so I guess I dont get to switch off at all (not that I can afford to swtich off - Delhi is an always on or perish kinda place) - maybe thats why the whole thing plays out like a dull dreary continuum in my head. 

I want this feeling to go - I'll battling with it over the coming weekends and if that doesnt work - Delhi - goodbye to you. I need my life back, I need my weekends back and I need my lovely Monday mornings back.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes - Mon mornings are awful and there's something about this place that makes it all the more difficult! :(

Let's leave.....

Popular Posts